Arrival of the Foundresses of Our First Mission in Winnipeg, Manitoba (1874)

It was at the request of Archbishop Alexandre Taché of the diocese of St. Boniface, who wished to provide a Catholic education to the young people living west of the Red River, that the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) sent four Sisters. 

After 12 days of a long journey that required the use of train, steamboat and barge, SNJMs finally arrived in St. Boniface on August 22, 1874. Sisters Jean-de-Dieu, Marie-Florentine, Electa-du-Sacré-Coeur and Marie-Élie took over from the Grey Nuns to assume responsibility for the establishment, Académie Ste Marie, which recently celebrated its 150th year of existence.

Learn more about the history of the foundation in Manitoba.