An exhibition centered on the Institut Jésus-Marie

Return to news

In response to various needs, in 1957 the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) constructed an entirely new facility, the Institut Jésus-Marie to house three institutions :

the Collège classique Jésus-Marie,
the Institut de Pédagogie Familiale,
and the Holy Names Business College.

After only 10 years of operation, changes to the educational system in the Province of Quebec led to the sale of the facility to the University of Montreal. The building would become today’s Pavillon Marie-Victorin.
An Exhibition: from January 29 to June 2015, at the Pavillon Marie-Victorin

Women for Women – an Educational Mission.
The Institut Jésus-Marie, its times, foundresses,
and academic contribution.

The Institut Jésus-Marie

Built between 1957 and 1959 under architect Félix Racicot on grounds behind the Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie, the Institut Jésus-Marie (1555 Mount Royal Blvd., Outremont) was of very modern construction. Due to its location, on the side of the mountain and across from the reservoir, it was built on three levels. With the most up-to-date classrooms and laboratories, it amalgamated and served the particular needs of three SNJM institutions. Beyond its academic uses, the new building was able to accommodate both residents and the teaching sisters.
Due to the changes in the education system in Quebec, the Institut Jésus-Marie was sold to the University of Montreal in 1967 and is today’s Pavillon Marie-Victorin.

Le Collège Jésus-Marie

The Collège Jésus-Marie was founded by the Congregation of the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary in 1933. In 1938, it was affiliated to the University of Montreal as a classical college for young women and was incorporated in 1955.
Initially housed at the SNJM Motherhouse and then at the Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie, the Collège Jésus-Marie was re-located to the Institut Jésus-Marie in 1959.
Throughout its history, the Collège Jésus-Marie offered young girls a classical education leading to a Bachelor of Arts degree, courses included elements of Latin, syntax, methodology, poetry and literature, rhetoric, and both basic and advanced philosophy. Due to the changes brought on by the Parent report, the Collège Jésus-Marie closed its doors for the last time in 1968.

L’Institut de Pédagogie familiale

To meet a need for home economics teachers with specialized skills, Bishop Albert Tessier asked Mother Marguerite-de-Cortone, the General Superior of the SNJM Sisters, to found a training institute. The Institut de Pédagogie Familiale opened its doors at the SNJM Motherhouse on October 12, 1942.

By 1943, the school was annexed to the University of Montreal. By 1947, it was accredited to bestow Bachelor’s degrees in Home Economics. The Institut de Pédagogie Familiale was formally incorporated in 1961.

As part of the larger move to the new Institut Jésus-Marie, in 1959 the Maternelle Jésus-Marie (kindergarten), which was affiliated to the Institut, was founded. The next year saw the École normale Sainte-Marie-des-Anges (Viauville) Brevet A level certificate classes transferred to the Institut Jésus-Marie. By June 1968, changes in the educational world would ultimately put an end to the Institut de Pédagogie Familiale’s training programs.

The Holy Names Business College

Courses in shorthand and typing were being given by various SNJM institutions from 1916 on. In 1926, the SNJM Motherhouse in Outremont began offering bilingual business courses through the Holy Names Business College. The objective of the school was to train effective and motivated secretaries and stenographers appropriately trained for the modern workplace.

In 1959, the Holy Names Business College moved into the new Institut Jésus-Marie. Due to the major changes in the education world in Quebec in the early 1960s, the Holy Names Business College was forced to close its doors in 1966.