The Outremont’s Reservoir

Return to news

On a vast property situated on the Côte-Sainte-Catherine road, in Outremont, the Sisters of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary (SNJM) purchase a farm in 1889, and in 1905, build there the boarding school Pensionnat du Saint-Nom-de-Marie.

Since this agricultural region welcome more and more wealthy families, the Montreal Water and Power acquires, in 1898, a portion of the land of the sisters to build, in 1913-1914, a important open sky drinking water reservoir (Réservoir Bellingham).

In 1924, the SNJM Congregation built, on the slope of the Mount Royal, their third mother-house and their novitiate. During the 1930’s, Outremont grows, bringing the building there of the school and the church Saint-Germain. In 1959, the SNJM erect, in front of the reservoir, the Institut Jésus-Marie (present Pavillon Marie-Victorin of the Université de Montréal), and, behind the tank, the École de musique Vincent-d’Indy (present Faculté de musique of the Université de Montréal). In 1964, the Claude-Champagne Concert Hall opens his doors. That same year, the reservoir is covered with a turfed roof.

In 2009, the City of Montreal allows the installation of various sports grounds on the Réservoir Bellingham.

  Aerial view of the SNJM motherhouse
and the Réservoir Bellingham. Around 1950.

Aerial view of the SNJM motherhouse,
the École de musique Vincent-d’Indy,
the Institut Jésus-Marie
and the Réservoir Bellingham. Around 1960.

The reservoir is covered with a turfed roof. 1964.