Water is a Human Right and Public Good (2008)
The Sisters and Associates of the Congregation of the Holy Names of Jesus and Mary afﬁrm that
- Water is a sacred gift that connects all life.
- Access to clean water is a basic human right.
- The value of the earth's freshwater to the common good takes priority over any possible commercial value.
- Freshwater is a shared legacy, a public trust and a collective responsibility.
Therefore, we support actions and policies that:
- Ensure universal access to sufﬁ cient, affordable, safe water for all people, especially the most vulnerable.
- Protect freshwater as a sustainable, renewable resource.
- Implement the objectives of the UN Millennium Goals on water.
We oppose actions and policies that:
- Endanger the world's supply of freshwater.
- Deprive humans and other species access to adequate, safe water essential for life.
- Favor the privatization of water as a commodity to be bought and sold for proﬁ t when in reality it is a heritage we all hold in common.